My Philosophy and Approach to Wellness...Being an internist for the past 25 years has taught me that what my patients want most is for me to simply listen to them. My patients always feel better when they are heard and not rushed. Since affiliating with MDVIP, my smaller, concierge-like primary care practice affords me the necessary time to get to know everyone on a personal level. I have the time to partner with each patient, developing a relationship built on trust, respect, open communication and empathy. This has helped patients both diagnostically and therapeutically.
I am committed to providing highly individualized medical care and being able to address all of my patients' needs during every appointment in a comfortable and unhurried setting. Building a customized wellness plan takes time, support and partnership.
I am one of only a few internal medicine solo practitioners in Wayne, New Jersey, and I am certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine. I also have a strong interest in cardiovascular health and diabetes prevention and treatment.
My personalized healthcare practice serves Passaic, Morris and Bergen counties. I’m on staff at St. Joseph’s, one of the largest medical centers in the state of New Jersey and serve on several of its leadership committees. In 2013, I was honored to receive the Distinguished Physician Award for St. Joseph’s Wayne Hospital. I am proud to be a United States Air Force veteran.
- Rutgers University
- Newark, NJ
- Bachelor of Arts, Zoology and Physiology 1977
- Medical School
- Autonomous University of Guadalajara
- Guadalajara, Mexico
- Doctorate of Medicine 1982
- Hackensack Hospital
- Hackensack, NJ
- Fifth Pathway Program 1982-1983
- Englewood Hospital
- Englewood, NJ
- Internal Medicine 1983-1986
Professional Affiliations and Appointments
- St. Joseph's Healthcare System (Paterson and Wayne campuses)
- - Chairman, Credentials Committee 2012-present, System
- - Secretary/Treasurer, Medical Executive Committee 2006-2012, Wayne
- - Member, Intensive Care Committee 2009-2013, Wayne
- - Collaborating physician, Pain Management 2008-present, System
- Medical Director, Hospice of New Jersey Inpatient Unit 1995-2000
- Associate Medical Director, Hospice of New Jersey Inpatient Unit, Wayne, NJ present
- Medical Director, William Paterson University 1986-1999
- Advisor to North Haledon, Board of Health 1999-present
- Police/Fire Physician, Borough of Haledon and North Haledon 1987-present
Professional Society Memberships
- American College of Physicians
- American Society of Internal Medicine
- United States Air Force, Honorable Discharge 1972
- St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center
- St. Joseph’s Wayne Hospital
- Kindred Hospital, Wayne
- Chilton Hospital, courtesy
Honors and Awards
- Patients' Choice Award 2008-2009, 2011
- Compassionate Doctor Recognition 2011
CertificationsAmerican Board of Internal Medicine
Doctor Neilan has made a differance in my life and my family's, for the simple fact that he is always there for us, listening to o...
One Friday night in August, I was in a serious car accident. After I was released from the Emergency Room early Saturday morning,...
Dr. Martin J. Neilan of Wayne, NJ is absolutely the most caring, knowledgeable, and informative physician I have ever known. I fir...
For over 20 years I have been a patient of Dr. Neilans'. A compassionate and understanding individual. I moved to Pa. full time ...