Green Salad with Strawberries & Goat Cheese
This lively salad captures the essence of early summer with ripe strawberries, chives and baby spinach. To make it a meal, top it with grilled chicken breast.
Ingredients - 4 Servings
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup , or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper , to taste
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 3 cups watercress, tough stems removed
- 2½ cups sliced fresh strawberries , (about 12 ounces)
- ⅓ cup fresh chives, cut into 2-inch pieces
- ½ cup toasted chopped pecans , (see Tip)
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
Active | Ready In
- Whisk maple syrup (or brown sugar), vinegar, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add spinach, watercress, strawberries and chives; toss to coat. Divide the salad among 4 plates and top with pecans and goat cheese.
- Tip: To toast chopped or sliced nuts, stir constantly in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Serving size: 1½ cups
Per serving: 206 calories; 16 g fat(3 g sat); 4 g fiber; 15 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 79 mcg folate; 4 mg cholesterol; 9 g sugars; 3 g added sugars; 3,212 IU vitamin A; 81 mg vitamin C; 101 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 218 mg sodium; 450 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (135% daily value), Vitamin A (64% dv), Folate (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, ½ fruit, 3 fat