My Philosophy and Approach to Wellness...
We tend to take our health for granted. We live hectic lives, distracted by all the things that demand our attention while not paying enough attention to our most important possession – our health. We push ourselves harder and harder, presuming we will be just as healthy tomorrow as we were yesterday while doing very little to maintain ourselves.
Most agree that the best way to maintain your car is not to drive it until it doesn’t run anymore, and then see if it can be fixed. This is unfortunately a very common approach to taking care our ourselves; many of us take no time to reflect on our health until we're sick. Our current healthcare system is based on this concept as well, which is why I choose to be an MDVIP-affiliated internist. Now, I have the time to care for you personally and proactively, which are the keys to helping you enjoy the healthiest life possible.
I am double board certified in family medicine and clinical lipidology. I focus on the early diagnosis and aggressive treatment of cardiovascular disease (the most common cause of disability and death in the United States). My expertise lies in diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol problems and additional causes of strokes, heart attacks and other forms of vascular disease. I use advanced diagnostics, including genetic testing, inflammatory markers, imaging and advanced particle analysis to find vascular disease early, allowing me adequate time to work with each patient to develop a specialized treatment plan. You can’t treat everyone's needs the same way. That is the value of MDVIP’s model of personalized medicine - similar to concierge medicine - but even more comprehensive.
We can now find many potentially deadly illnesses before a patient notices any symptoms at all. This is a major focus of my practice - prevention. The best path to a longer, healthier life is through a healthier lifestyle, avoiding disease and seeking early detection. This cannot be done passively. As a private doctor, I help my patients become active, informed participants in their own healthcare, and I believe the close partnerships I share with my patients is critical to them being well and staying well.
My primary care practice is located in Elizabethton, Tennessee and serves Elizabethton, Johnson City and the tri-city areas of east Tennessee. I see patients at Sycamore Shoals Hospital, Johnson City Medical Center, Franklin Woods Community Hospital and local nursing homes.
- Denison University
- Granville, OH
- Bachelor of Science, Biology 1991
- Medical School
- Medical College of Ohio
- Toledo, OH
- Doctorate of Medicine 1995
- East Tennessee State University, Bristol Family Practice Residency Program
- Johnson City, TN
- Family Practice 1995-1998
- Chief Resident, Bristol Family Practice 1997-1998
Professional Society Memberships
- National Lipid Association
Honors and Awards
- Chief Resident, Bristol Family Practice Residency Program, July 1997-June 1998
- Outstanding Family Medicine Resident 1997-1998
- Mortar Board (President), national honor society dedicated to community service, Denison University 1989-1991
- President, Alpha Epsilon Delta, national pre-medical honor society 1989-1991
- Electrophoretic analysis of polymorphisms of hemoglobin, aldolase, lactate dehydrogenase, isocitrate dehydrogenase, and sorbitol dehydrogenase in Canis familiaris and Canis latrans. Robert L. Schubert and Bonnie L. Lamvermeyer. The Ohio Journal of Science 91:56 1991
- - Diabetes, Comprehensive treatment from pre-diabetes to insulin pump management
- - Lipidology, Diagnosis and treatment of atherosclerotic vascular disease (arterial blockages) and its many associated conditions
- - Minor surgery, Excision of skin cancers, etc.
- - Heart disease, Management of high blood pressure, cholesterol problems, etc.
- Diplomate, American Board of Family Practice
- Diplomate, American Board of Clinical Lipidology
As a pharmaceutical sales representative, I first met Dr. Schubert in a professional setting. He was a speaker for one of the pro...
I had the opportunity to meet the Schubert family through a friend. In casual conversation regarding employment, I was really impr...
I am a 73 yo male and I have always had a great aversion to doctors. I was referred to Dr. Schubert by another doctor that my wife...
We've been friends with Dr. Schubert for many years, but jumped on board MDVIP soon after he shared this new concept with us. Duri...