Holiday Pumpkin Pie
This lighter pumpkin pie has the rich, subtle spices of the classic and a delicate, faintly sweet crust.
Prep time: 30 minutes | Total time: 4 hours (including cooling time)
3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Note)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons canola oil
3-4 tablespoons ice water
1 15-ounce can unseasoned pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 14-ounce can low-fat sweetened condensed milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- To prepare crust: Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the butter, until it’s light brown, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Transfer to a small bowl to cool. Stir in oil. Slowly stir the butter-oil mixture into the dry ingredients with a fork until the dough is crumbly. Gradually stir in ice water, adding enough so the dough holds together and feels moist. Press the dough into a flattened disk.
- Overlap 2 sheets of plastic wrap on a work surface, place the dough in the center and cover with 2 more overlapping sheets of plastic wrap. Roll the dough into a 12-inch circle. Remove the top sheets and invert the dough into a 9-inch pie pan. Press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Remove the remaining plastic wrap. Fold the dough under at the rim and crimp or flute the edge (see Tip).
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 425°F.
- To prepare filling & assemble pie: Whisk pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and salt in a medium bowl until well combined. Add condensed milk and eggs and whisk until smooth. Pour the filling into the prepared crust.
- Bake the pie for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350° and bake until the filling is set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes more. (Cover the crust edges with foil if they are browning too quickly.) Let cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
Tip & Notes
Prep Tip: Prepare the crust (Step 1), wrap tightly and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Tips: Note: Whole-wheat pastry flour is milled from soft wheat. It contains less gluten-forming potential than regular whole-wheat flour and helps ensure a tender result in delicate baked goods while providing the nutritional benefits of whole grains. Both are available in large supermarkets or natural-foods stores (or online from bobsredmill.com or kingarthurflour.com). Store in an airtight container in the freezer.
Tip: To crimp pie crust, use one hand to pinch/flute the edge of the crust between your thumb and side of your index finger.
Recipe makes 10 servings
Per serving: 292 calories; 9g fat (3g sat, 5g mono); 53mg cholesterol; 42g carbohydrates; 7g protein; 3g fiber; 174mg sodium; 482mg potassium;
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (137% daily value).
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 carbohydrate, 2 fat